May 05, 2008

Dance In the Streets, Not In Your Room

NEW YORK CITY, HERE I COME.

So, I've been trying to learn more about Union Square for the following reasons: a) I will be spending six glorious weeks in NYU's Carlyle dorm that is located there, and b) I hope to appear somewhat hip and knowledgeable when I arrive (unlikely). Anyway, I discovered NYU Local, and I credit it for much of my growing excitement. While browsing the site, I have learned that Union Square has had a "Silent Rave" and a protest in just the last few weeks. BEST. NEWS. EVER.

So what exactly is a silent rave you ask? If you didn't click my convienent little link (agonizing HTML) up there, I will tell you alllll about it. A "Silent Rave" is when a group of people gather together and dance to whatever music they'd like. Imagine! A group of complete strangers, complete with headphone and ipods, walkmen, or whatever, dancing around in silence! Besides, a "Silent Rave" sounds a lot easier than protesting.

Anyway, since my dorm is located in Union Square, I think that I will pretty much be the luckiest girl in the whole world. I only have six weeks in this big, big city, and I am so excited that I will be able to walk out of my dorm and think, "I wonder what Union Square is going to hold for me today? Maybe a pillow fight?"

No comments: